I’ve already said it elsewhere, but this still reminds of the Saki ending albeit less cracked out
Rather then go through all the motions of rejoicing and about how “thine goddess hath returned” and the fact that there’s a new episode of Haruhi, I’m just going right on in and straight up. Here it is, my thoughts on the new episode of Suzumiya Haruhi sans hype and plus the humble expectations of a novel reader. Besides those that know me know I don’t really do that stuff anyway…..okay except with Zeus.
- Even having read this chapter and it being 3 years since I last saw a Haruhi episode, I can’t help but feel this this new episode just gave me a sort of been there done that feel up until about the 3rd quarter, but then it was back again during the last bits. The flashback bits were a lot more interesting than anything else in this episode, but the first half honestly had me pacing the room a little bit between the couch and the chair wondering if I should go and get a drink.
- Young Mikuru….I don’t remember her sounding that squeaky in the original, but maybe actually has been a while. Adult Mikuru sounds like a slightly more animated Anya Earlstraim. Yuko Goto has some good range, but by god do I prefer Adult Mikuro.
- I think Aya Hirano was still trying to find Haruhi’s voice again for much of this episode and gets it near the end of the computer room sequence only to struggle with it again later on.
- Lantis makes the difference when it comes to music in Kyoani series. I was honestly grooving to and enjoying a lot of the BGM and seriously think Kyoani should have them on board more often since when they have to do stuff in house like with K-ON and Lucky Star it’s just….kind of bland.
- Roger Smith Still > John Smith
- Yikes, Tthey spend so much time on all of the ancillary parts of this story like playing up Mikuru’s moeness and then just blow through the key portion of the story in like 2 minutes with such fidgety animation to boot that I was honestly surprised and a bit underwhelmed during the flashback scene with younger Haruhi when by all rights that should have been the highlight of the episode. I think they got the pacing a little wrong here from what I read in the novel and what seemed important in that context. Though I guess you’ve gotta please the Otaku fanbase by getting into the good ol’ moe antics a bit. Hope this doesn’t become a trend though.
- Good lord Mikuru is such a sucky baby, have I mentioned this already. Well even still out of all of Kyoani moe moe characters they’ve had in the past 3 years I still say she easily takes the cake.
- What’s with the randomly white and then normal background during the whole sequence in Nagato’s apartment. Usually Kyoani is pretty detailed with their backgrounds so to see this is kind of surprising and weird. At least they got the emphasis on this scene right and I even got a kick out of the awkward tension of Mikuru and Kyon sleeping in the same room and the fact that Yuki clearly doesn’t give a shit.
- I liked the manner in which they ended the episode with the almost chess game. It just felt….appropriate…..well other then the chess pieces changing colour out of the blue which just felt like a sloppy mistake uncharacteristic of the attention to detail Kyoani as an animation producer is supposed to be known for.
Well that certainly felt familiar. This will be a way to add some flavour if not drama to what otherwise looked to be a very low key summer season. Whether that will be a good kind of drama or the kind that makes doves cry remains to be scene.