Following the events of Welcome To The NHK the dynamic duo of Sato and Yamazaki would go on to publish the best selling anime of all time based off of the failure of their self-published eroge
Man moe series sure are popular eh? It sometimes can seem like it’s all that really sells these days and you know what, I kind of want in on this now. Japanese Otaku culture really is pretty easy to read and manipulate and I figure as long as you know how to follow just a few golden rules that you can stand to make a lot money in this industry.
1. Give the otaku what they want no questions asked. If loli is popular give them more loli. If quiet girls are popular then give them that. Know the moe trends of the now. Oh and don’t give your moe moe girls too many character traits either unless it’s something like them behaving like a cat in their spare time. If the otaku community gets the idea that these girls might actually be able to think too much for themselves or by god if it could give way to a dreaded second of screen time that isn’t dominated by moe and cute then you’ll lose their interest fast.
2. Never under any circumstances pair a character off in a way that would prove unpopular. Better yet, don’t even have any male characters in your show at all, it’s just too damn risky. You don’t want the otaku community getting the wrong idea that they might have rivals for the affection of your moe moe girls.
3. Make sure you pay a magazine to have glowing reviews and spots for your new moe series. This will generate hype and make otaku want to buy your show. If you own a magazine then you don’t need to worry about this. Awesome break isn’t it?
4. Make sure you make as many references to things that the otaku community will recognize and that already has a high name recognition index. Don’t worry if it has absolutely nothing to do with the narrative of your show whatsoever because you are not concerned about that. This is because by cramming in references to popular names it will in turn help up your own name recognition index merely by association and probably lead to increased sales for your product. Some good ideas to consider are Mobile Suit Gundam, Hatsune Miku and Macross. You might also consider a voice actor joke for the ease of association with both other popular characters AND the anime they were in. Be imaginative, but not too much.
5. Hire seiyuu that will be willing to sing a song for the show and who will record extra character singles. You’ve gotta figure, your series is going to be a hit in the DVD/BR division, why not also make some money in the audio CD division as well. You’re going to want songs that sound cute, but aren’t necessarily too technical, this will save you money in the long run that you don’t need to spend. Your lyrics should probably reflect this as well and should give of an innocent feel that will also be reflected back onto the character and the core product. Pick a frivolous topic to centre on as well. Love is still in, so you might want to consider that, but don’t under any circumstances try to sell it under any tone that isn’t 100% idealized. Let the invisible hand of otaku casual association do the rest in increasing sales for both the anime DVD/BRvolumes and the CD singles.
As far as I can tell that’s it, and you know what, I think I could do it. I just need funding, a studio and some people to draw the pictures for me. The only bump in the road is how exactly I am going to get my name recognition up the level where I can autowin the Oricon top 10 every time. Maybe I’m looking at a pairing with some entity that is already popular who I can then stab in the back once I get my name recognized myself. In any case I am also currently working out what exactly makes eroge and visuals sell on the top 10 monthly chart level. I think it comes down a lot to the same kind of name recognition that pushes anime series. Hmmm…well that was easy…..perhaps a more worthy cause would be to find out just how the Otaku community got to the point where it will lunge at the opportunity to buy whatever is the newest hot moe anime.